Posted: August 22, 2017
Dini Spheris is a leading national consultancy specializing in capital and endowment campaigns and major gift programs. More than fundraising consultants, we consider ourselves partners with our clients, in their missions and for their success. With over 48 years of experience, Dini Spheris has served thousands of nonprofits nationally, resulting in billions of dollars in philanthropic support. Dini Spheris brings to each client, every day, the brightest talents and experience that produce real results.
Dini Spheris Consultants provide advice and counsel relative to the fundraising needs of each client. From development assessments to campaign planning and campaign management, consultants are engaged as partners with our clients in the delivery of our fundraising and other consulting services. Consultants serve as a member of project management teams – providing direct client service ranging from the larger strategic issues of campaigning to coaching clients in the day-to-day details of development office best practices. While project management teams are typically led by a Principal or Senior Consultant, the ongoing management of projects and client relationships are the responsibility of the consultant. Consultants are expected to possess the skills, character and judgment needed to help lead and assist clients in the implementation and direction of their campaign plans and strategies. They are also expected to possess the drive necessary to manage multiple projects, lead client strategy meetings, work with both staff persons and senior volunteers, and consistently deliver premiere counsel and service each day in every circumstance. Aside from direct client services, consultants play an active role in new business development and lead sales presentations on behalf of the firm.
- Developing and making recommendations to clients and other team members regarding effective fundraising techniques, strategies and solutions;
- Advising and counseling clients relative to building effective fundraising programs including, but not limited to, the organization of volunteers, guiding the institutional staff, and directing prospect strategy development and implementation;
- Directing and managing consulting services, including capital, endowment and major gift campaign planning and implementation; strategic planning and leadership development; and organizational and development assessments;
- Overseeing client services, such as: prospect identification, management and research; cultivation and solicitation training for volunteers and staff; campaign case development; volunteer management strategies; policy and system implementation; and grant proposal preparation;
- Developing tools and strategies that are necessary for delivering contracted services, which at times may include the writing of development plans to the drafting of campaign planning study documents;
- Leading board room presentations and strategy sessions – ranging from trainings to focus groups – regarding complex issues related to campaigning, planning or institutional advancement performance;
- Serving in an active sales role, from the management and stewardship of a portfolio of new business prospects to developing and delivering sales presentations and closing sales;
- Working in an internal team setting in which roles may shift from leading a project to guiding other team members in a specific area of work, to supporting the work of team members in the delivery of other client projects; and
- Assisting with the continuous improvement of services, language and materials used for the presentation of Dini Spheris services in printed materials and in the sales environment.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- At least five to seven years’ experience in development or advancement for nonprofit organizations, including major gift fundraising experience, direct solicitation experience or comparable experience in a consulting environment;
- Knowledge of campaign fundamentals – from planning through execution – including case development, leadership organization, prospect management and staff management;
- A basic aptitude for relationship building, sales and client service negotiations, including the conducting of sales calls, discovery conversations and closings;
- Experience in issues related to advancement office management, including a basic knowledge and understanding of database and prospect management systems, online giving and the integration of new technologies in advancement services;
- Experience in the utilization of wealth screening data, prospect profiling in a major gift fundraising environment and/or other fundraising analytics tools;
- The ability to manage the details of multiple client relationships thoroughly, taking initiative and responding to continuous and simultaneous deadlines;
- Sound judgment, creative thinking and perceptive problem-solving skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as a strong “board room” presence;
- The ability to instill confidence in clients and team members;
- A confident and team-oriented approach to work, balanced with a level of personal humility and flexibility;
- A conceptual knowledge of philanthropy and an interest in the larger issues of public policy, skills development, the psychology of donors and the development of an intellectual grounding to the work;
- A willingness to develop a personal commitment to the desired culture, values and strategic direction of Dini Spheris as a firm that is committed to utilizing the uncommon skills of its professional teams to transform the common good;
- Proficient computer skills with Microsoft Office or similar software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook;
- Availability and willingness to travel, as appropriate;
- CFRE or ACFRE certification are a plus; and
- B.A., B.S. or equivalent degree.
Please send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and references to:
2727 Allen Parkway, Suite 1650
Houston, TX 77019
To download or print a copy of this job description click here.