Company: University of St. Thomas
Location: Houston, TX
Posted: February 5, 2018
About The University of St. Thomas
The University of St. Thomas (UST) is the Catholic university in Houston, Texas. UST welcomes undergraduate and graduate students of all races and religions. Located in a diverse and vibrant urban environment with professional opportunities, the campus is just minutes from downtown and the famed Texas Medical Center where many students perform prestigious internships.
UST is committed to the Catholic intellectual tradition and the dialogue between faith and reason. By pursuing excellence in teaching, scholarship and service, the core values of UST’s founders, the Basilian Fathers: goodness, discipline and knowledge are embodied and instilled in the students. UST fosters engagement in a diverse, collaborative community. As a comprehensive university grounded in the liberal arts, UST educates students to think critically, communicate effectively, succeed professionally and lead ethically.
Reporting to the Senior Development Director, the Development Officer will function as a member of the Institutional Advancement fundraising team. The Development Officer will identify and cultivate relationships with prospective donors and ask for gifts primarily ranging from $25,000 to $499,000 that align with the fundraising priorities of the university. Position may relate to specific priority areas (i.e. Athletics, Centers, College).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain an active portfolio of (75-120) prospective donors. Through mail, calls and personal visits, identify, cultivate and solicit prospects for gifts primarily in excess of $25,000
- Achieve mutually agreed upon targets for personal visits and amount of funds raised. Document activity into the PeopleSoft system in a timely manner
- Work closely with VPIA, Sr. Director of Development, faculty and/or campus leaders to define fundraising priorities
- Coordinate with other development staff to provide input for fundraising proposals, annual stewardship reports and donor acknowledgement letters
- Meet annual goals for face-to-face contacts, submitted proposals, qualified prospects and stewardship actions
- Regularly interface with internal constituents such as university deans, administration, faculty, Board of Directors and external constituents such as community organizations and volunteers
- Program responsibilities include developing fundraising priorities, identifying prospects, relating to and organizing an advisory committee, charting progress of advancement activities and communicating progress to Program Director and VPIA
- Help with the planning and logistics of events; attend as needed after hours or on weekends
- Utilize shared secretarial support
- Performs other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communication, English, journalism or a related field required. Master’s degree preferred
- Requires 5+ years experience in the development field (higher education or academic healthcare experience preferred). Also must have a demonstrated track record of progressive success in past positions
- CFRE preferred but not required
- Effective organizational, computer, oral/written communication and project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with sensitive and confidential issues and under the pressure of deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to deal effectively with all levels of individuals inside and outside the university
- Self-motivated and takes initiative
- Understands and appreciates the UST mission and core values and can articulate them
- Ability to lift boxes as needed to assist with event support
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by individuals in this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of individuals in this job classification. All job classifications may have miscellaneous job duties assigned on an as needed basis. Management, at the appropriate level, retains the right to assign and change the duties of any position at any time.
How to Apply
This is a full-time, year round, benefit-eligible position. To apply, please send a resume, a cover letter and salary requirements to the email below. Please note incomplete applications will not be considered.
Human Resources – Ref: 0918
University of St. Thomas
Houston, TX 77006
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer