Director of Development
Company: The Center for Hearing and Speech
Location: Houston, TX
Posted: July 18, 2019
About The Center for Hearing and Speech
Started in 1947 as Houston School for Deaf Children by four parents who wanted their hearing-impaired children to listen and speak without the use of sign language, The Center for Hearing and Speech (CHS) is now the most comprehensive resource in the region for these children. CHS encompasses a full-service audiology department, a team of highly specialized speech therapists and a school for children ages 18 months – 6 years. In a nurturing, family-centric environment, professionals work closely together to enable the children to reach their full potential in a mainstream world. Because CHS receives no government funding, and because it serves children regardless of socioeconomic status or health care coverage, the majority of its revenues must come from fundraising efforts.
After two years of strategic planning, CHS leadership and the Board of Directors has partnered with consultancy firm Dini Spheris to embark on a $22,500,000 capital campaign to enable CHS to relocate to its new site in the Texas Medical Center build a larger building and double services to children with hearing loss.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting The Center for Hearing and Speech in three key areas of responsibility: fundraising, marketing and community outreach. The principal responsibility of the position is to successfully implement a multi-faceted fundraising plan to raise approximately $1.8 million of the Center’s annual budget with additional focus to help secure gifts towards the capital campaign.
- Achieve annual and capital fundraising goals by following the annual fund plan
- Build relationships with local philanthropic partners including individuals, corporations, foundations and families
- Oversee the Development team
- Work closely with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors to successfully execute fundraising and marketing initiatives
- Identify and cultivate volunteer leadership for events and fundraising initiatives
Education, Experience and Technical Requirements
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a leadership role in non-profit development
- Experience with grant writing, event management, donor relations and individual giving
- Proven focus on customer service and consistently applied excellence as a standard internally
- Ability to work long hours or weekends as needed
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong project management and time management skills
- Knowledge of Raisers Edge NXT
- Familiarity with WorkBoard, Emma Email Marketing and wealth screening tools
Please submit résumé to email@example.com.