Finance & Business Manager
Company: Memorial Park Conservancy
Location: Houston, TX
Posted: August 29, 2017
ABOUT MEMORIAL PARK CONSERVANCY
As Houston’s largest urban park, Memorial Park is a distinctive wilderness and recreational park undergoing a transformation that will endure for generations to come. Memorial Park Conservancy, which manages Memorial Park on behalf of the City of Houston, seeks to elevate the lives of Houstonians through exemplary Park management and the realization of the Memorial Park Master Plan. We are working to establish a best-in-class urban park that elevates user experience, Park operations and Houston on the national stage.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Finance & Business Manager will play a leadership role in this effort by overseeing day-to-day accounting functions, implementing and managing the financial and technological infrastructure, systems and processes needed to support the delivery of the Memorial Park Master Plan and operate Memorial Park and supporting the organization’s departments in their work to achieve this transformation. The Finance & Business Manager will be involved in a range of strategic planning and internal initiatives. They must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace. This position works closely with other departments and with relevant MPC Board Committees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Planning, Policies and Process Improvements
- Responsible for the annual preparation of MPC’s operating and capital budgets and financial metrics.
- Leads/supports long-term financial planning, developing forward-looking, activity-based financial analysis to provide insight into the organization’s operations, capital projects, business lines, new projects and plans.
- Formulates and enforces policies regarding cash management, asset management, payroll, inventory control and contract compliance as it relates to finances; prepares fiscal impact assessments of new policies.
- Participates in corporate policy development as it relates to the position.
- Delivers improvements that continually improve efficiency and cost-effective operations.
- Develops organization’s technology strategy and goals. Leads initiatives to enhance efficiencies through the use of technology and assure that short term and long term technology plans are in place.
- Financial Management and Compliance
- Tracks and analyzes all financial data, monitoring performance against plans. Deploys tools/processes/systems for tracking financial performance and forecasting.
- Manages all accounts, ledgers and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Manages cash and investments to ensure liquidity for projects and operations; ensures compliance with required cash reserves; and manages risk including commercial liability insurance management.
- Produces monthly reports for CEO and COO and the finance committee.
- Provides bookkeeper functions when bookkeeper is unavailable or the position is vacant.
- Supports senior staff as needed in financial planning and technological issues.
- Manages all payroll related activities.
- Maintains internal controls and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Oversees all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant period; collates financial reporting materials for grants and works with the Development department as necessary to support grant and development activities.
- Maintains systematic, complete and accurate records of the financial, technological and other assets of MPC.
- Prepares for and supervises the annual audit by outside auditors, coordinating with staff and Board; reviews audit findings, secures Board review and approval, and implements audit recommendations.
- Executes timely filings of payroll taxes, 990s and other tax forms.
- Remains up to date on nonprofit accounting and audit best practices.
- Supports HR functions as needed, including administrative oversight of benefits administration.
- Management Reporting, External Relationships, Supervisory Role
- Delivers clear, concise and compelling management reporting, including but not limited to monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements; planning documents; and analyses of new lines of business or projects.
- Keeps senior staff and Board leadership abreast of MPC’s financial status, opportunities and any risks.
- Supports development of annual report and other external communications tools.
- Represents MPC and manages relationships with financial institutions.
- Supports analysis and communications for donors and other funders.
- Manages contracted IT services and vendors.
- Provides education to MPC employees about financial planning and budgeting.
- Participates as needed at MPC events that involve financial matters.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws including interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; providing feedback and coaching; appraising performance; and resolving issues.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s in Accounting / Finance; CPA/CMA or MBA would be a plus.
- 7+ years of experience of nonprofit accounting preferred, coordinating audit activities and financial reporting, cash management and fund accounting.
- Skill in examining, developing, re-engineering and recommending financial, operational, and technology policies and procedures.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation and recommendations versus simple reporting.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non- finance managers.
- Proactive, hands-on strategic thinker and problem-solver.
- Resourceful and tech-savvy providing recommendations for a multi-functional organization.
- Strong communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners. Experience creating and delivering concise, compelling management reports.
- Has a collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality. Must be a team player.
- Adaptability and openness taking on additional assignments as needed and to feedback and coaching.
- Proficiency with accounting, financial and other software and ability to learn new software/tools.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume along with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.