Manager, Development Operations and Stewardship
Company: Da Camera
Location: Houston, TX
Posted: June 27, 2017
Da Camera of Houston, a nationally recognized presenter and producer of innovative chamber music and jazz programming, seeks an experienced, growth-oriented Manager of Development Operations and Stewardship. This position is a full-time exempt position available immediately and reports to the Director of Development. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The mission of Da Camera is to produce and present concert experiences with a commitment to quality and innovation while broadening the audience for chamber music, jazz and contemporary music. Now in its 30th season, Da Camera is a vital organization which has established itself as a national leader in the world of chamber music and jazz. Da Camera is widely acclaimed for its innovative programming, notably Artistic and General Director Sarah Rothenberg’s unique concerts connecting music with literature and the visual arts, as well as for its jazz series, featuring a distinctive mix of renowned performers and emerging artists.
Da Camera takes its name from the Italian phrase musica da camera, which literally means “music of the room” or “chamber music,” and refers to smaller ensemble music with one musician on a part, usually performed without conductor. Each season, Da Camera’s artist roster includes over 60 musicians, representing distinguished performers from around the world and outstanding musicians based in Houston, who perform at the Wortham Theater Center and The Menil Collection in a subscription series of curated programs often unified under a season theme. Da Camera of Houston, along with the Houston Symphony, Houston Ballet and Houston Grand Opera, is one of seven of the city’s major performing arts organizations which form the leadership of Theater District Houston.
Da Camera’s goals include connecting music to other art forms; expanding the awareness of American music through the presentation of jazz and the commissioning of new compositions; and developing partnerships with a wide range of cultural institutions locally, nationally and internationally. Houston Chronicle describes Da Camera as “a Houston gem with a unique niche in the city’s milieu of performing arts,” with critical acclaim also shared by The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Chamber Music, Time Out/New York, Inside Arts and The Washington Post. Through innovative, thematic and curated programs, dynamic outreach activities and artist residencies, Da Camera shepherds musical excellence of uncompromising artistic standards with deeply rooted community programs that reach over 20,000 Houstonians annually, striving to make great music accessible to all.
As a highly collaborative organization, Da Camera is in a period of exciting, substantial growth. Since 2011, the organization’s budget has grown over 40%, now $2.3 million, and ticket sales have increased nearly 70%. In 2013, Da Camera established the Artistic Development Fund, and has raised over $500,000 to support original productions, commissions, recordings and other projects. In 2015, Da Camera opened the Da Camera Music Center with rehearsal and workshop space. A recent bequest of $1.6 million from subscriber and donor James K. Schooler has allowed an infusion to Da Camera’s endowment and additional funding for programs and initiatives.
The organization seeks an individual with a positive, can-do attitude who will commit to Da Camera’s values and match its forward-moving momentum. Including the Manager of Development Operations and Stewardship, the Da Camera staff numbers 9 and truly operates like an ensemble.
The Manager of Development Operations and Stewardship works directly with the Director of Development to cultivate and steward funds to secure a vibrant financial future for Da Camera of Houston. The key responsibility for this position is to refine and manage the internal systems that will ensure strong donor stewardship of current donors, and assist in identifying prospects.
The successful candidate will have direct experience in Tessitura CRM System. They will be responsible for managing fundraising campaigns, gift processing, acknowledgements, providing customer service and assisting with special events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain accurate donor and prospects records, hardcopy and electronically, in Tessitura
- Prepare donors’ pledge reminders, receipts, acknowledgments, and other donor communications, as required
- Track and administer all donor benefits, including recognition and benefits fulfillment
- Support Director of Development by providing excellent and timely customer service to all donors
Reporting and Data Integrity
- Accurately record gifts from donor, foundation and corporate donors
- Prepare campaigns’ weekly, monthly and quarterly progress reports
- Prepare lists for solicitation, fulfillment and invitation mailings, in collaboration with the Director of Development
- Maintain accurate donor biographical information
- Implement employer matching contributions program
Board and Event Assistant
- Arrange details associated with all Board and some committee meetings, including taking minutes and preparing welcome packets
- Provide on-site management at all donor events, concert receptions, house parties, gala and other activities
- Attendance and assistance at all subscription concerts
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree and at least three years’ experience in fundraising; preferably in the performing arts
- Proven experience using Tessitura to advance development goals, including gift processing and acknowledgment functions
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail, including strong Microsoft Excel skills
- Ability to interact confidently and comfortably with donors
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently
- Availability to work a flexible schedule, including some nights and weekends
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality
Da Camera of Houston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job related disability or marital status.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements by e-mail to: email@example.com with the subject line “Development Manager Search.