Vice President, Donor Relations
Company: United Way of Greater Houston
Location: Houston, TX
Posted: March 31, 2017
The Vice President, Donor Relations of the United Way of Greater Houston provides leadership to and ensures the engagement of the donor community, corporate and individuals, for the nation’s fourth largest community impact organization (covering Harris, Ft. Bend, Waller, Montgomery counties and the Bay Area) in order to secure and continually grow annual fundraising results to support the mission of the United Way.
Responsibilities include executing a strategic resource development plan that provides the roadmap to maintaining deep relationships with corporate executives who influence and control employee workplace giving and creating lifelong relationships with individuals in order to support the work of the United Way. In addition, the Vice President, Donor Relations, along with the CEO, is the senior spokesperson and face of the United Way to the donor community and is responsible, for raising awareness of the work of the United Way in the community.
The Vice President, Donor Relations participates as a member of the Executive team, develops annual work plans, operating budgets and performance goals and objectives for the Donor Relations staff and aligns work and efforts with the Vice President for Brand and Marketing. The position is responsible for creating a work environment that motivates and inspires the staff to achieve annual results in order to secure the necessary resources for the community impact objectives. The Vice President, Donor Relations, oversees and manages a staff of approximately 33 full-time equivalent employees.
|Reports to:||President and CEO|
|Supervises:||One Assistant Vice President, Senior Director, two Directors, one Administrative Coordinator|
|Also works with:||United Way senior staff, staff, volunteers, service provider community and community volunteers/business leaders.|
|% OF TIME||PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES|
|40%||Key Donor Relationship Development and Management
Manage existing, and create new, relationships with C-suite executives, who influence employee giving at the workplace as well as individual donors engaging them in the mission and work of the United Way in order to secure their support and ensure their ongoing satisfaction with and participation in the efforts of the United Way.
Execute a strategic development plan that ensures the goals are met through a full complement of fundraising efforts designed to increase the number of new donors, improve donor retention, ensure sustained giving program targets, and increase overall gift revenue. These efforts include but are not limited to the corporate campaigns in the workplace, individual giving, digital campaigns, affinity groups, major gifts, foundation grants and planned and endowment giving. In addition, develop recognition programs that motivate donors to contribute to the United Way on an ongoing/lifetime basis.
Works closely with Community Impact leadership in educating the community on the breadth and depth of United Way’s impact; assists in the planning and design of new community impact efforts; provides ongoing opportunities for work integration between Donor Relations staff and Community Impact staff.
|10%||Brand Development and Marketing
Works closely with the Chief Brand Officer and leadership in Community Impact to identify gaps between the current and desired perception of the brand, and external consultants in the development of campaign and organizational messages, creative design for videos and materials and the production of the annual report.
Participate as a member of the executive team to strategize, plan and execute all business plans. Attract, retain and motivate the caliber of staff that will ensure the goals of the organization are achieved in the most cost efficient, professional manner. Create an environment of open communication and lead staff to maximize productivity, creativity and financial results as measured by employee satisfaction.
|5%||Finance and Administration
Develop and manage the donor relations budget. Develop relationships with the finance and administration staff and communicate regularly to ensure campaign results are documented and provided in a timely and accurate manner.
Support the CEO in staffing the Board of Trustees. Maintain individual relationships with each member to ensure they are kept apprised of fundraising efforts, goals and challenges. Provide periodic reports and analyses as appropriate to ensure adequate information is provided. Provide staff support to the annual community campaign chair.
- Successful track record in relationship development and management, extensive fundraising and community engagement activities with individuals and the community in a major metropolitan area.
- Demonstrated success in leading non-profit fundraising campaigns or product sales experience.
- Knowledge and appreciation of digital engagement and its use in the integration of technology platforms and social media used into the overall fundraising strategy which includes: attracting new donors, improving donor retention and increasing campaign revenue.
- Knowledge of non-profit governance and work experience with volunteers including Boards of Directors.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and gain the respect of a broad constituency base, including executive levels in business, industry and government, foundation management, service providers and other key community leaders.
- Understands the non-profit culture with the ability to work collaboratively across the organization and gain the respect of a diverse team of peers and staff.
- Recognized as a strong staff leader, executive manager and developer and mentor of people.
- Demonstrated expertise in budgeting and financial management.
- Strong communicator, both written and oral.
- Demonstrated experience as both an inspirational and operational leader.
- Non-Profit Aptitude. Seasoned manager with the capability and flexibility to successfully work in the non-profit culture.
- Technical Skills. In-depth knowledge and experience in the development and execution of fund raising and training strategies and plans. Knowledge of marketing, branding, communication and digital engagement strategies.
- Behavioral Skills. Excellent listening, analytical, conceptual, planning, problem-solving and decision-making skills. Empathetic to the challenges faced by staff, volunteers and donors.
- Collaborative. Must have the ability to work with and through peers and colleagues to get results in a win/win manner.
- Dedication and Drive. A focus on the United Way’s mission requires dedication and the passion for the mission to fulfill the wide range of management and external commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills. A high degree of interpersonal skills required to smoothly interface and represent United Way with numerous constituencies.
- Strategic. Ability to translate United Way Worldwide’s strategies and plans to fit the persona of Houston.
- Ethical. Personal values and behavior must be beyond reproach.
- Results Oriented. Well organized, self-disciplined and self-motivated; focused to get the desired results.
- Decision Making. Ability to make decisions that positively contribute to the success of the organization, donors, benefactors and employees.
- Judgment. Bright and well-educated. Ability to assimilate a wide array of information and focus on the key issues. Ability to deal with broad issues and detailed facts (e.g., financial results).
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates may apply by accessing the link found here.
For questions, contact Wendy Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org