Development & Special Events Manager
Company: Houston Botanic Garden
Location: Houston, TX
Posted: October 10, 2018
About Houston Botanic Garden
The mission of the Houston Botanic Garden (HBG) is to enrich life through discovery, education, and conservation of plants and the natural environment. The HBG will open an oasis in the City of Houston in 2020 on a beautiful 120-acre site on Sims Bayou. HBG is building an organization and a staff to inspire people to love plants and be good stewards of the natural world.
The Houston Botanic Garden is seeking a Development & Special Events Manager with responsibility to: advance HBG’s mission through events, annual fund and grants; and support development and marketing strategies. This is a fundraising and development operations role reporting directly to the Vice President of Development & Marketing.
The ideal candidate is a compelling communicator and an organized, detail-oriented and accountable development professional who enjoys working in a dynamic and growing organization. The Development & Special Events Manager will work with the Vice President of Development & Marketing to help the organization succeed in all campaigns, annual luncheons and other flagship fundraising events; fundraising for operations, programs and projects; managing a robust grant/proposal pipeline; growing our donor base and prospect list; and strengthening infrastructure to ensure results.
This individual will manage fundraising, cultivation and stewardship efforts through:
- Events (manage 5th Annual Luncheon in 2019 and help develop second fundraising event for 2021; manage site visits and tours, produce cultivation and donor appreciation events)
- Grants (manage grants calendar, produce requests and proposals and help identify, research and solicit prospects)
- Annual Fund and Membership (help develop multi-year plan that rolls out 2019-2021)
- Donor Database (currently using eTapestry with plans to convert to Raiser’s Edge NXT or alternative in 2019; Mail Chimp/Constant Contact for e-blasts; and a Volunteer List in Excel)
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Proven track record in fundraising events management
- Experience with individual giving, corporate sponsorships, and membership recruitment and benefits management, a plus
- Grant writing experience preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Donor database experience a strong plus with RE preferred – understanding the structure, attributes and coding system, and pulling data, reports, queries
- Collaborative and team player
- Ability to prioritize and juggle multiple projects in a start-up environment
- Extraordinary organizational skills, attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong writing, grammar, proofreading and spelling skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interact with staff, visitors, Board, donors, partners, and volunteers
- Desire to be a part of a team and able to work cooperatively
- Flexibility, integrity and highest standards of professionalism and confidentiality
Education and Experience
- College degree preferred
- Minimum three years of development experience, including fundraising, in a nonprofit agency setting
Health insurance and retirement savings match available
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those candidates who most closely match HBG’s requirements will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.