Finance and Operations Director
Company: Bo's Place
Location: Houston, TX
Posted: July 17, 2020
About Bo’s Place
The mission of Bo’s Place is to enhance the lives of those who have experienced the death of a loved one.
A nonprofit, free-of-charge bereavement center, Bo’s Place offers multiple grief support services for adults, children and families, and provides education and resources for those who assist people in grief.
Bo’s Place operates on the belief that it is helpful and healing for grieving children and adults to share their stories, memories, experiences, thoughts and feelings with those who can understand their journey. Bo’s Place offers the only free on-going grief support program in the greater Houston area for children and their families.
The Finance and Operations Director is a full-time exempt position and reports to the Executive Director. This position is responsible for all financial planning and accounting activities of the organization; oversees human resource functions including payroll and benefit administration; oversees Bo’s Place facility. The work schedule is Monday – Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. and Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Some evening and weekend hours required for special event support. As an exempt employee, one can reasonably expect to work more than the core hours stated.
- Assist in the strategic planning of annual and long-term goals with the Leadership Team and Board of Directors.
- Manage relationships and monitor contract enforcement/renewals with external service providers (banking, investment, insurance carriers, technology contractor, utilities, equipment leasing, waste services, phone/internet, facilities service providers, etc.).
- Manage the day-to-day activities and procedures related to all financial and accounting functions.
- Implement and maintain accurate and timely financial recording and reporting systems in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Prepare the annual operating budget, functional expense budget, capital budget and 12-month rolling cash flow projection.
- Coordinate and serve as the primary contact with independent audit and tax firm for preparation of the annual audit and IRS Form 990, preparing schedules and information as necessary; ensure timely completion of audit and filing of IRS Form 990.
- Develop and monitor internal controls with Executive Director, Administrative Director and Development Department to ensure adequate checks and balances.
- Prepare financial information and reports for the Executive Director, Board of Directors, Finance Committee, Development staff and outside funders (grant requests) as needed.
- Prepare, distribute and file IRS Form 1096 and 1099s for all contract employees and event prize winners.
- Review Accounts Payable managed by Administrative Director.
- Review bank deposits prepared and posted by Administrative Director in QuickBooks; manage Positive Pay process.
- Post credit card donations in QuickBooks.
- Prepare Account/Pledge Receivable reports.
- Reconcile bank and investment statements monthly (multiple accounts).
- Work with Executive Director, Finance Committee and Board of Directors to monitor investments; maintain investment schedules.
- Calculate depreciation and prepare fixed asset spreadsheets.
- Reconcile QuickBooks financial database with Donor Perfect development database monthly.
- Reconcile check log with deposits weekly.
- Prepare journal entries, as needed (including booking of in-kind donations at year end).
- Ensure restricted funds are monitored and tracked for proper usage and maintain net asset roll forward schedule.
- Work with Development Director to ascertain FMV of direct donor benefit for special events.
- Attend and support financial functions at special events.
- Attend Board, Finance Committee, Leadership, Staff and other meetings as requested by Executive Director.
- Act as primary staff liaison to Finance Committee; record minutes for Finance Committee meetings.
- Oversee new hire paperwork and onboarding process.
- Maintain personnel files and other HR records as appropriate.
- Oversee preparation of annual HR documents including employee handbook revisions, policy & procedures revisions, organizational structure, job descriptions, etc.
- Ensure timely and accurate payroll processing and payroll tax filings.
- Manage 403(b) contributions.
- Manage annual benefit renewals and enrollment process.
- Manage t-sheets timekeeping system and PTO.
- Facilitate special projects as needed, such as compensation study.
- Manage insurance renewal process including preparation of renewal questionnaires for insurance carriers (commercial liability, D+O, workers compensation, etc.) and worker’s compensation audits.
- Oversee annual employee background check process, tracking of up-to-date driver insurance and clinician licensures/professional liability insurance.
- Oversee ongoing facilities maintenance with support from Administrative Director and Facilities Coordinator.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Responsible – ability to be held accountable or answerable for one’s conduct.
- Reliability – the trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Organized – possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Honesty/Integrity – ability to be truthful and seen as credible in the workplace.
- Ethical – ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Detail Oriented – ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Business Acumen – ability to grasp and understand business concepts and issues.
- Accuracy – ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Accountability – ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Team Builder – ability to convince a group of people to work toward a goal.
Skills & Abilities
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree (four-year college), Field of study: Accounting or Finance
5+ years of full-time professional experience in accounting, preferably nonprofit accounting
Proficiency with QuickBooks and Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Microsoft Excel
Certifications & Licenses
Please email resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org