Grants Manager – Houston, Texas
Company: KIPP Texas Public Schools
Location: Houston, Texas
Posted: June 14, 2021
About KIPP Texas Public Schools
KIPP Texas Public Schools is a nonprofit public charter school network, dedicated to preparing students in educationally underserved communities for college success and choice-filled lives. Today, KIPP Texas operates 59 public charter schools educating over 31,100 students across four regions – Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. KIPP schools are part of the free public school system and enrollment is open to all students. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income families.
You can see all of KIPP’s job opportunities at https://kipptexas.org/join-our-team/.
The Grants Manager of KIPP Texas Public Schools will be responsible for (1) writing and submitting grant applications to current and lapsed supporters; (2) writing interim and final reports to funders, and (3) researching new corporate and foundation prospects. The Grants Manager will assist with grant management to ensure that goals are achieved. The Grants Manager will also assist the Development team by supporting fundraising and donor cultivation events and providing support when needed. This role furthers the mission of KIPP Texas Public Schools by helping seek financial donations that provide funding to offset KIPP’s annual operating budget and position KIPP Texas Public Schools for future growth.
- Acquire and maintain sound knowledge and understanding of KIPP Texas Public Schools in order to effectively articulate our mission, vision and impact to current and prospective donors, and funding agencies.
- Manage a portfolio of donors, funding agencies and prospects using a moves management system to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and build relationships with donors and prospects. Based on the needs of the region, this may include stewardship opportunities.
- Maintain proactive working relationships with other internal departments, and, in the event that problems arise with grants, lead troubleshooting efforts and bring in relevant team members to assist with solutions.
- Lead project management of grants though their full life cycle and serve as organizational subject matter expert.
- Manage fiscal compliance; working closely with finance team and program budget managers regarding grant restrictions, expense tracking and spending and documentation.
- Adhere to grant timeline and calendar to ensure grant compliance and to maximize funding opportunities. This includes communicating upcoming deadlines, responsibilities, and follow-through to ultimately ensure all stakeholders meet deadlines and fulfill their responsibilities for specific grant applications and reports, recognizing that each will need lead time and context.
- Develop strategies for donors to effectively move through a meaningful cycle of giving. This includes coordination with the Chief External Officer, Deputy Chief of Development and regional development teams to execute strategy and correlate organization needs to donor interest and capacity.
Education and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree required from an accredited institution
- Basic accounting knowledge
- Experience in grant writing and reporting preferred
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge preferred
- Experience at KIPP or other Charter Management Organization (CMO), highly preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and particularly Excel)
- Ability to understand and create budgets
- Excellent attention to detail and a high level of accuracy is necessary
- Strong follow-up and follow-through skills necessary
- High proficiency using computers, printers, copy machines, and fax machines
Ability to creatively and effectively express KIPP’s mission and purpose
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas’ competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.
If interested, please apply online by accessing the link here.