For over 60 years, Giving USA: The Annual Report on Philanthropy has provided comprehensive charitable giving data for reliant donors, fundraisers and nonprofit leaders. Published annually since 1956, Giving USA is the longest-running and most comprehensive report on philanthropy in the United States.
Giving USA allows you to identify trends in charitable giving important to the success and growth of organizations. These organizations can use the data from Giving USA to inform fundraising strategies and allocate resources for the greatest outcomes.
Dini Spheris is a proud member of the Giving Institute and donor to the Giving USA Foundation. On June 19, Dini Spheris, in partnership with the United Way of Greater Houston, will present a workshop on Giving USA 2018’s key findings. For information and registration details on this workshop, please click here.
With the release of #GivingUSA2018, we see some of the following key takeaways:
Click on the infographic to download or print
- Americans donated an estimated $410.02 billion to charity in 2017. Total estimated charitable giving in the United States rose 5.2 percent between 2016 and 2017. This increase reflects growth in giving to all of the major recipient subsectors, and strong growth in giving by individuals.
- Giving by individuals estimated at $286.65 billion, increased 5.2 percent in 2017. Itemized giving comprised 84.4 percent of the total estimate for giving by individuals. Giving by both itemizing and non-itemizing households increased, at 5.6 percent and 3.3 percent, respectively.
- Giving by foundation estimated at $66.90 billion, increased 6.0 percent in 2017. Grantmaking by community foundations rose 11.0 percent from 2016 while Grantmaking by operating foundations and independent foundations also increased at 6.2 percent and 4.9 percent, respectively.
- Giving by bequest estimated at $35.70 billion, increased 2.3 percent in 2017.
- Giving by corporations estimated at $20.77 billion, increased 8.0 percent in 2017. Corporate giving includes cash and in-kind contributions made through corporate giving programs, as well as grants and gifts made by corporate foundations. Corporate foundation grantmaking is estimated to have totaled $6.09 billion in 2017, an increase of 4.5 percent
The key takeaways above come from Giving USA 2018: The Annual Report on Philanthropy for the Year 2017. The production and release of Giving USA is the result of the collaborative efforts of Giving USA Foundation, a public service initiative of The Giving Institute, and Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy.
For more information on the report or to purchase a copy, please visit http://givingusa.org/.